Thursday, April 22, 2010

A Post About Curt Franks

My name is Amy Dopart and my parents and I live here in Northern California but had a place in Kihei for many yrs at Kihei Kai Nani across from Kam II. I've grown up summer & holidays on Maui and we'd go to Hope Chapel when we visited the island.I am now 36 yrs old and wanted to share with everyone that I was in Maui on 10/11/08 for my honeymoon. I had only been married for a few days when my husband (31yrs) had a massive stroke in Kihei & was rush to Maui Memorial. By the time we arrived at the hospital he had full facial disfiguration, full left side paralysis, blindness & going completely unconscious. At that point I was faced with so many unimaginable decisions to help save my husbands life and I felt terrified & alone.

A nurse called me aside and said that there was someone in the emergency room waiting area to see me. I was all alone on the island. I couldn't think of who could be in the waiting area for me. I walked out and there was Pastor Curt!! What a warm & wonderful face to see. I felt a calm come over me that I could not explain. (I did not know my mom had called Hope Chapel on my way to the hospital while I was in the ambulance and Pastor Curt had arrives in minutes!) He hugged me and we sat in the emergency room and he prayed with me. He, at that point, was my family, part of my christian family to help in any way he could to sit and listen, pray and just hold my hand. I know that I was probably in shock, but I just remember his kind face. I never forgot it!!

That night in ICU was the longest night of my life! Not knowing if my husband would live or die, if he would ever be able to speak again or even give him a hug, but I would just go over in my mind the prayer Pastor Curt said.

My husband awoke from his coma a few days later & we spent the next few weeks at Maui Memorial. Weeks later he was cleared to fly home in a wheelchair, but unfortunately 3 days later had 2 more strokes and we spent the next 2 months at John Muir Hospital in Walnut Creek, CA.

Through the power of prayer and our family so diligently taking him to speech, occupational & physical therapy for months along with doctor appts, coumadin, etc. in August my husband, Dae Kim, made a full physical recovery. Even his doctors were baffled. He was a real testament on how the Lord heals.

I am writing to tell Pastor Curt that I think of him so often and how he helped me through one of the most difficult days of my life. After he prayed with me, I was able to go back in that emergency room and make important medial decisions calmly and with the Lord's help. I had to signs the papers decide what medicine to give to him and that he needed to be put on a ventilator because he was slipping into a coma.

When I heard the news of Pastor Curt, I wanted to let him know, that I too am praying for his recovery and I wanted him to know that out of all his life's work, he touched my life and I know the Lord has the ability to heal. I just saw his picture on his blog and that wonderful smiling face and it brought a HUGE tear to my eye. I prayed for him all last night and today and I am so glad to hear the surgery went well. He gave me hope in Maui and now I wanted to pass that hope back on to him. It brings new meaning to the words "Hope Chapel".

I figured since he in in the hospital, emails might not reach him.If you could please tell him again how appreciative I am and how blessed I feel to have had him there at the crutial point in my life & for praying with me for just those few minutes. I am eternally grateful.

I will continue to pray for Pastor Curt and your whole church family.

Your sister in Christ,
Amy Dopart

4 comments:

  1. This letter got me teary eyed. We reap what we sow - Curt sows love and encouragement to us and he gets that back from us. Thanks Amy for writing the letter and thanks for posting it here.

    Liza

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that's the same Curt that I know--a caring, selfless, giving servant. We love you, Curt, and you are very much in our hearts and thoughts tonight. You may feel shocked, afraid, unsure about your future, but you are not alone. We are surrounding you with our love and prayers. More importantly, the Lord is with you and hears our prayers, and He will lead you. We are asking Him to heal you in a mighty way.
    Much love,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your story Amy! While working and volunteering at Hope Chapel, Curt always had a warm smile and kind word whenever I'd walk by his office or say hi. He has encouraged me and my husband countless times. We love and appreciate you Curt! Romans 8:38

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Amy.....I have experienced the same wonderful love that Curt gives us so freely and naturally! God does awesome work through Curt and I am very thankful for all the prayers and confidence Curt has instilled in me!!
    I am looking forward to sitting across from your desk again soon Curt! I always love talking with you Buddy!! Lets get tough on this illness! We shall prevail......Love you!!
    Robert Moss

    ReplyDelete